Saturday, February 23, 2019

The creation of my blog

As a member of the SCA that has taught classes I have been asked a few times if I had a blog, or handouts available. Today I finally decided that it's time to jump in an get that blog started. I'll start off with a little about me.

My unofficial SCA name is Lady Calliagh of Ravensbridge. I attended my first Great Northeastern War in 2002. A friend invited me to get away from the mundane world for awhile. It took me a few years to realize that the SCA was more than this once a year weekend camping expedition, and I have been expanding out into the SCA more and more as the years go by. I am currently the Youth Clerk for the East Kingdom, keeping track of the various youth officers' background checks for the East, as well as the newly appointed Chancellor of Minors for the Riding of Ravensbridge.

I have 3 daughters that I have raised/am raising in the SCA. My older 2 are adults now, and off on their own. Both of them still have interest in the SCA, but don't have the time to do the multiple events throughout the year that I now attend. But each year at least one of them has joined us for our home away from home weekend at GNEW. My youngest daughter is currently 5 years old, so while she has no choice but to come to events with her dad and I, she complains in the dead of winter that she wants to go camping. I think she enjoys it.

My husband, Don Magnus Morte, is a fencer, organizer of largesse, and the Seneshal of Ravensbridge. He is also head of our household, House Knotty Snake (technically The House of the Knot and Snake- to be more historically accurate), an Inn in Ireland at about 1200. Over the years I have spent much of my time trailing him, and the children, to make sure they are hydrated, fed, and generally taken care of.

I myself am interested in primarily A&S and Service activities in the SCA. I enjoy many art activities such as sewing, kumihimo, rigid heddle weaving and tablet weaving. I am working on learning nalbinding- because I want to adapt a crocheted bag that I make to be more period, embroidery- to complete some largesse items, flag throwing- because if I wasn't doing SCA I would be teaching color guard and I am sooo excited that I can combine the two activities, inkle weaving- I have the loom for card weaving, so why not. Then there are so many items that I would love to try out, but I am refraining because there is soo much I am already doing. I am finally at the point in my SCA life that I am trying to up my game and get into researching my garb, and getting more historically accurate. I am also trying to make sure that I share my knowledge with others, whether it's with kids or adults.

In 2006 I taught my first class at GNEW. A kids class, cardboard swords and shields. It is that class, and reintroducing it for our 2015? Great Falls Balloon Festival Demo, that really started the push for a blog. We used markers for the cardboard, and handed out about 100 shields and swords that first year (the exact number is in my paperwork in the basement at the moment). I had a few people ask if they could do the same thing at their demo- and of course I said yes. I have learned a lot from the many years of preparing for the shield and sword class/activity, and I would love to share that knowledge with others. This is also true of the headdress class I have done, as well as kumihimo. I also have a kids activity kit that I carry with me to events, to pull out when needed. I would love to share that and to my part to keep the youth entertained at all events.

Other service activities I have done other than teaching and youth wrangling, is retaining, volunteering at GNEW gate, GNEW set up for a few years, and filling in wherever I may be needed, typically in an unofficial capacity. I do my best to support the events and activities within our growing Riding as best I can.

I recently decided to dedicate more time to my SCA life, and look forward to sharing this journey through this blog. I think I may have lots to share, and I hope that others can get some use out of my experiences.

Yours In Service,
Lady Calliagh of Ravensbridge

No comments:

Post a Comment